Quick question - 600L or 1000L

billytkid

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
London UK
www.fish-cam.co.uk
Hiya,

I've got a Juwel 180 litre tank and sadly the pump in the filter has died, I've just called up my LFS and they have a 1000L/hr one to replace the existing 600L/hr.

Only thing is...does anyone know if its going to need more cleaning, or worse still make more noise?

thanks for any quick answers, as I've got to leave soon to go get it

Cheers

btk

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I was thinking the same thing as Tab- those filters are going to be way overkill for your tank I think- they circulate your tank volume in less than 20 minutes.... that is a pretty fast rate of filtration I think.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I don't think it would make much difference. I mean if one is a canister filter and one a HOB, then yeah there'd be a big difference. However if they are both the same type of filter from the same brand, my guess is you won't notice too much difference.

billytkid

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
London UK
www.fish-cam.co.uk
Hi all,

thanks for the relplies, but sadly I'd already been to the LFS.

So..the answers are:
1. Yep its quite a bit louder :( but ill get used to it
2. I doesnt seem to give the fish much more movement

To be honest in marine tanks they usually have a powerhead of this strength in smaller tanks, and with no filtration, i think with the filters it isnt near the 1000Ltr mark.

If I get back from holiday and the fish are all musclely then Ill know its doing them good !*thumbsups

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Okay once I worked this out in gallons it didn't sound nearly as scary. We're talking a power head in a 49G tank that turns over about 264GpH. That's not that crazy at all. I have 200GpH filter on my 29G. It just took a bit for my little baby black skirts to get used to but being river fish I hope they'll appreciate the water current ultimately.

THe noise may settle out a bit once it's running for a week or two.