Quick question about Oto's

Aug 4, 2005
Hi, I just have a quick general question about oticinculus (sp?) catfish. How high are they on the social-ness bar? I didn't know if they're very social fish like kuhli loaches, for example, and will be unhappy if kept alone, or if they could be kept just one to a tank and be quite comfortable, like plecostomuses. In other words, if the only factor considered is the social happiness of the oto's, how many should be kept in a tank at minimum?

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
My 2 otos do not communicate with each other at all. I think one will be fine. There is whole website devoted to them: http://www.otocinclus.com/
I would not keep too many because despite of their small size they are littered my 29g with their tiny droppings - the litter just about everywhere. Also if your tank does not grow enough algae for them you'll have to put veggie for them (i usualluy stuck microwaved salad leaves on t's wall on sucking cup. You also will need to remove leaves promptly. Otos are making holes in them and there are also shreds of the leaves here and there.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
I always heard that they do better when in groups. I have 3 together (actually, just since yesterday), but they don't interact with each other at all. They just work work work! :)

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i have heard of people on here keeping just one and them being fine. but i guess they would be happier in a group, and also they'd be a lot better at algae eating in a team.