Quick question: Betta tank size.

Mar 11, 2003
2 gallons are nice homes for bettas. I have one of my males in a 2.5 gallon mini bow. Its the "perfect" tank for a male betta (mine has two ADFs in it too), although bigger is better.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ditto, 2 gallon is the easiest because water changes are easier to do. 1 gallon would work but you need to change the water weekly. The tank size is really more about your ability to care for the betta than about the bettas ability to survive. Just like Alexa said, bigger is better.

Mar 11, 2003
And you certainly don't want to put your betta in the smallest bowl it can survive it, do you? Bettas can survive as long as they are moist. They breath out ot the air, thanks to their labyrinth, and not out of water like nonlabyrinth fish. So, while they can survive in tiny jars, you must remember that water changes skyrocket and their personalities plumet. A 32. oz (1 qrt) jar has to be changed every 2-3 days! A one gallon has to be changed once a week, and a 1/2 gallon 2 times a week. So you are spending all this time cleaning your bettas small bowl to make it happy, when you could have just bought a 2 gallon tank w/filter and spared you both the trouble of having a small bowl.

If you were just wondering this question for the sake of curiosity, this may seem rude, but if you are thinking about putting a betta in a tiny jar, than maybe you learned something. Sorry if this is harsh, and if your intentions are not to put a betta in the minimum amount of water.

Alexa

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
dont worry Precious i'd never dream of putting a betta in anything less that a 2g, i was just curiois to know the size they can survive in.
I wanted to know so that when i go out to buy something i can definately get the right size, being young and ultimately poor i dont want to spend loads getting a tank that could have afforded to be a gallon or two smaller perhaps. (if you get my drift!).
Dont worry, any betta i get will be perfectly housed or i just wont bother if i feel i can't accomodate one.

Mar 11, 2003
Thats good. I know about being poor, lol. I thought I would be making money selling my bettas (not that that is my intention on breeding them) but instead, after my first 5-6 orders I am $20 in debt, lol. Oh well, anything for the bettas :).

Alexa