Quick Response, Please!!!

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I am getting ready to do a water change. I have a 1 gallon bucket and am going to be removing 7 gallons. The dechlorinator I have says to add 1 tablespoon for every 10 gallons. I have to do it by buckets. My question is... can I add the measured dechlor to my tank water and then add the appropriate amount of water? If not about how many drops should I add to each bucket as I am putting it in? If you could respond right away i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i don't do it that way... i just wait til the water change is over and just squirt an approximate amount in (after doing this for so long, you get used to how much to add). it really isn't that huge of a deal, you wont kill your fish if you are a tbsp off. just add like 1.5 tbsp in at the end. that would be easiest.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Right. What i was wondering is can I put the untreated water back in my tank and THEN add the dechlor? It will not hurt my fish to have chlorinated water in their tank for a few minutes?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
you cannot "over-dose" the dechlor. I do it bucket by bucket. I add a squirt of dechlor to each bucket before adding the new water into the tank.
As long as there is some dechlor in the replacement water, you are all set. You can even add it to "every other" bucket if you want, to save on dechlor *thumbsups

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Ok, well I just added it at the end. f8fan, I just got your post after I was finished. I guess everything is ok. Hopefully the chlorine didn't effect them too much. It was only in there for about a minute and a half. Thanx guys. Oh, f8fan, I will do it your way next time I do a water change. I just feel better adding before I pt it back in the tank. Even if it doesn't matter.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Shaunna said:
Oh, f8fan, I will do it your way next time I do a water change. I just feel better adding before I pt it back in the tank. Even if it doesn't matter.
Me too :) I have heard it doesn't matter, but I just feel better knowing that the water I put back in the tank is treated.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
It seems to me that you're all missing the point of adding de-chlorinator.
Chlorine is there in the water in the first place to kill off any harmful bacteria.If you add water straight from the tap to your tanks it will kill some of your good bacteria colony.This is why you should always wash filters in used tank water instead of under the tap.The chlorine won't hurt your fish unduly for the short while it's there but you should always add the de-chlor before you add the water to the tank for the above reason.

If you left the water in a bucket for 24hrs to breath it wouldn't need de-chorinating as Chlorine is a gas and would have evaporated already.However even this water would need to be treated to lock up the heavy metals and other nasty chemicals that are present.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I like the dechlor/tap water conditioner that I have. 1 drop per gallon. It's easy to figure out how much is needed, no matter if I'm doing 1 gallon in my 5g tank, or 5 gallons in my 25g tank. I fill the jug, add the drops, shake it up, and put it in the tank.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
TLH, That makes the most since I have heard on this forum thus far. Thank you for putting it in "duh" terms. Now I know I definitely need to add my de chlor b4 I put it back in the tank. Right?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Shaunna,it can't be that hard to work out your doseage can it?I think a tablespoon is the equivalent of 3 teaspoonsful which are 5ml each.If I'm right on that you need 1.5ml per gallon.
I use Aquasafe which says 5ml per 10litres/2 gallon british.