Quick SW question!

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
Why do Marine fish need salt water (I know this seems silly)? I'm trying to think of the reason they have to have a specific amount of Salt in their water to live.

Also how long could you average salty live in fresh water? Minutes? Hours? Days? Before they die?

come on Pure don't fail me now.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
To keep it simple (because I am not a scientist and can't explain it as such) I believe it has to do with Osmosis......namely Osmotic Pressure. A fish is adapted to a certain sality (such as a salt water fish) and when placed in a dramaticaly different salinty their cells can basically.............burst. A salt water fish placed in FW will die very quickly. Hope that helps, someone else may be able to explain it better.

fishlover1

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
i heard that if you put a FW fish in SW it would dehydrate sp? very fast because it doesent let out the saltout of its body unlike the SW fish.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
SW fish are adapted to live in the higher salinity of SW, in that they conserve water in their bodies and expel the salt at a much higher rate than FW fish... FW fish pee a lot of weak urine to conserve their salt, and SW fish pee only a little of very highly concentrated (salty) urine to conserve their water.

This is from Aquarium Fish by Dick Mills:

------------------------------------
Osmosis
A fish's skin acts as a semipermeable membrane, or a one-way transfer systemfor water. Osmosis causes fluid to diffuse through this membrane until there is an equal concentration on both sides of the membrane. The fluid of a freshwater fish's body is more concentrated than the liquid in which it lives. Thus, water costantly passes into the fish. To avoid bursting, freshwater fihes excrete as much water as possible and drink little. Conversely, Marine fish lose water to more concentrated sea water outside, and must drink constante, but excrete little.
-------------------------------------

live bearers can be adapted to higher salinities, and some actually like it. i know mollies like a little salt. salt water fish just need the salt because thats what they have always lived in. its why true africans have dark skin. living near the equator with year round intense sunlight caused them to produce more melanin in their skin giving them darker color, and greater resistance to skin cancer. it would belike a fair skinned person (fresh water fish) moving to africa (the ocean) and being exposed to sun (salt) 24/7. the results wouldnt be good. plus, the fish's respiratory system might not be able to handle it. there is less oxygen present the higher the salinity.

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
If this type of site isn't around to answer fish questions like mine, what is it for?

You can take 90% of all of the questions on this board and "Google" it to get an answer but then nobody will have anything to post including patronizing comments like yours.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
this is a science question not like post such as "what should i add to my 10gal?" which are opinion and there for you are able to aquire multiple opinions on this board. so i guess i must only be reading 10% of all questions, while you magically have axcess to the other 90%

cheers

-Java

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
I'm not sure that you are in any position to judge my questions; it is in the correct place. Your comment was not needed or wanted by anyone here so if you don't have an answer then just stay out of it. Thanks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I thought it a decent question. Google is far better suited to questions like 'I bought skimmer x, is it a heap of rubbish'.

FWIW mollies have a lot of phsiological 'setup' that is more similar to marine fish than freshwater fish i.e. the gill rakers , which fish use to excrete water and urine are marine in style. That is why they do better in very hard or brackish water but faile to thrive in very soft water. Some, but not all mollies adapt perfectly well to full strengh seawater.