quietest skimmer

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Well even if your not planning on setting up a 55 gallon tank I would like to offer you some personal experience anyways. I have a AquaC Remora protein skimmer which uses a Maxijet 1200 on my 55g FOWLR tank and I absolutely love it. It is powerful, quiet, and pulls so much scum out. A Remora could definitely handle a 55g tank, but you could always upgrade to the Pro model for even better performance.:)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
no...the only way they could be noisy is if you get the prefilter box...then when the water level drops from evaporation they make a nasty sucking noise....wakes me up when I am in the next room.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I consider the sucking noise from the pre-filter box an alarm that tells me I have neglected my top off. Other than that they are very very quiet in fact the fan on the light makes more noise than the skimmer.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I find my CPR bak-pak skimmer to be quite noisy. The noise isn't the coming from the Rio 800 pump itself, or any of the business inside the skimmer, but rather the noise is coming from the end of the air intake tube. Surely this can't be avoided and is a problem with all the skimmers. They all need to suck in air through a tiny whole which can easily get obstructed by salt residue. It's does work surprisingly well though.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I just got the Red Sea Prizm Pro Deluxe on Tueday, and I love it. I replaced Amiracle's SL-15 HOB Skimmer/Sump, which broke..too much to repair..and it was extremely loud. Not just the air hose, but the constant gurgling in the pipeline. The TWO pumps that operated it were quite noisy too.

The Prizm is great! The only noise I hear now is a tiny bit of bubbling inside the skimmer. It is completely sealed off, even the air hose has a place to be so that it is silent. My light's fans are louder than entire the skimmer.

It's rated up to 100 gallons too, so it should work great on a 55.

Oh yea, my tank is in my room also. It is at the end of my bed that I sleep with my head at too.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
If you have a sump, have you considered an insump skimmer? I know little about them but imagine them to be quietest. I don't know why. Perhaps because I Imagine them to be fully submerged.

On a side note, this week Wayne had been discussing some things in another thread with me, when he kindly pm'd me to let me know he may be away for a while and therefor may not be able to post. I just thought you'd wanna know in case if you're like me and of course value and appreciate everyones comments to your questions, good or bad, but I know I am always especially keen to hear what Wayne has to say.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I have the Prizm as well, I'm not a big fan of them but with a little fine tuning they do work! I wouldn't put one on anything larger then a 40-50g; not a chance they would do a 100g efficiantly.

Ps. KahluaZzZ I told you that you would be back... it's an addiction!!!

Last edited: