Rainbow fin sharks

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
My dad is thinking about getting rainbow fin sharks. How aggressive are they? Are they a good community fish? Thanks.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Does anyone know anything about these fish? They are the sharks that are black and all their fins are red, not just red tails. If you do let me know what you know, please.

Last edited:

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Mine is only aggressive towards my false SAE and then only at feeding time.Lives quite happily with the Guppies and the Cardinal Tetras although they do stear well clear.The two Amano Shrimp I have are the boldest with him often going right upto its nose while foraging about.

All in all I'd say aslong as you don't have any other fish with the same body shape and feeding habits you'll be fine with one.I couldn't say what they'd get along like if there was more than one though.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Seleya said:
One per tank. How large is the tank and what else is in it?
The tank is a 45 gallon. It has 3 ballahs, 2 plecos, 1 cory, 1 fire dwarf Gourami, 2 red minor barbs, 2 glass fish, 2 silver tipped sharks, and 1 kuli loach.

My dad's not sure he wants one, but if he does look into it more this is just to know. Thanks.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
That's quite a combination. You do realise the "sharks" will need increased salinity as they age? The glass fish tend towards brackish as well, tho some keep them in fresh. The balas and sharks are going to need a larger tank eventually as will the plecs unless they're one of the smaller pleco species. The cory would do better in a school. You'd be better off to sort out the fish currently in the tank and go from there before adding a semi-aggressive troublemaker to the bottom.

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I'd agree with Seleya. You, guys have a tricky combination already an rainbow shark will do no good.
My beloved rainbow shark lived very well in my nicely planted 29g tank in peaceful laid back tropical community until i had to move him temporarily into another tank where he did not like, raised up the glass wall, crawled out and fell onto the carpet and dried up :(
Overall, i think they are great but so is almost every fish we do not own :)

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Seleya said:
That's quite a combination. You do realise the "sharks" will need increased salinity as they age? The glass fish tend towards brackish as well, tho some keep them in fresh. The balas and sharks are going to need a larger tank eventually as will the plecs unless they're one of the smaller pleco species. The cory would do better in a school. You'd be better off to sort out the fish currently in the tank and go from there before adding a semi-aggressive troublemaker to the bottom.
We were told about the silver tips needing salt. So we actually have added a bit of salt to this system (and mine), so that's no problem. The Cory did have some buddies, but they have died of old age and we keep thinking he's going to die soon too. Also like I said, my Dad's not sure on the rainbow sharks because he had some redtailed sharks for a while and he's kind of tired of aggresive fish. Thus I've been trying to find out information for him. He's also thought about a bigger tank. Thanks guys for your help. I'll let him know.

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Just keep in mind as the silver tips grow, they are going to need to go to full salt water in a pretty large tank (marine salt, not aquarium salt). I've kept them and they get to a good foot or so long, are very active and not above eating anything they can fit into their mouths.