Rainbow Fish Prices

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I've been looking around at every LFS I can find, in 3 cities for Rainbow Fish. Not the "Australian" rainbowfish that you see everywhere for $2-$4, but some of the other, less common varities, like Boesemani. The only place I can even find them want $14 a fish. I've seen them cheaper online, but that's without the $30 shipping. And I'm not looking to buy a 100 of them to save on shipping.

Is $14 a good price for a "yellow" -as they have it labeled- rainbowfish, about 2" long?

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
I've never heard of a "yellow" rainbowfish. Do you know it's scientific name? What does it look like? (I hate common names...they're so shifting.) Do you mean a boesmani?

Rainbows are somewhat expensive. My boesmanis were like 11$ or so a piece, I think. My celebese were around the same. Threadfins, madagascans...they're all pricey.

14$ seems a few dollars higher than normal for a sub-adult fish (at only 2") unless it's like a gertrudae or something (and I highly doubt it is;)).

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Well because when they're scared or nervy, boesemanis tend to fade in colour - especially females. My female boesemani was completely yellow in the store - not a hint of blue on her - and they didn't know what she was and sold me her as an australiam mutt for $1.59 or so. Of course in my mind I'm like "ha-ha!" Makes me feel so smart sometimes, when I can pun the sellers like that. Another one I got for cheap was a dwarf neon rainbow, who was completely unlabeled and the only fish of its kind in the store, so they sold me her for 99 cents as a random fish.

Aaaanyway - normally I see rainbows go for $12 or so, boesemanis, reds, turquoises, and such. Dwarf neons are usually $4-6. Celebes and threadfins I've seen for $3-4 or so actually. These are the prices I've spied at Petco. Most other LFS'es I know of hardly ever sell Rainbows.

Though personally I like the Australian two-dollar mutts, too. They are very inconsistent in type though, you see all sorts of different body shapes, fin types, colours and such. Well because they're not pure strains but rather generations of random rainbows bred in. The males can look very impressive though - especially the bigger ones - when they're in a good mood and show their colours.