rainbow shark?

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
im currently cycling my 25 gallon and im planning to put in 7-9 tiger barbs in it
and maybe a rainbow shark

although im not sure wether the rainbow shark will b ok in this tank??
what do you guys think?

i just want 7-9 tiger barbs and 1 bottom dweller...i dont want cories otos ar a bristlenose...and i want something that will b able to fight back if the barbs decide to pik on it,which im sure they will at some stage hah
any ideas?

Jul 11, 2009
Ohio
Try a Red Tail Shark instead of the Rainbow. They're pretty much the same but I think the Red Tail is a bit more aggressive. I've got one and love him. =) They're neat to watch, gorgeous when they get big! Tiger Barbs can be aggressive so I think it should be a good match. The Red Tail can get territorial so just make sure it's got some nice caves to retreat to. ;) Just keep it to one shark.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
If you get 7 tigers and the rainbow shark, it should make a good "semi-aggressive" tank. I'd keep with the rainbow personally, because in a group of 7 your barbs should diffuse any nippy behaviour amongst themselves and a red tail might just terrorize them a bit.

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
yes semi aggressive is what im goin for hah:)

thanks...and what should i feed it tho because i cant find a clear answer on that??will it eat algae flakes or sinking pellets??or will it come to the top and join the frenzy haha

Jul 11, 2009
Ohio
Well I've got a Red Tail, not the Rainbow but seeing as how they're pretty similar (and my Dad has a Rainbow and 2 Red Tails) I've never noticed them to feed off the top. Mine sometimes will eat the food as it's floating down but they usually hunt for the food at the bottom of the tank later at night. I feed mine Brine Shrimp flakes, they seem to go over well with all of my fish. They look exactly like Tropical Flakes only their just brown, good for meat eating fish! My can of food has a picture of a Red Tail on it, I'd say something like that would be fine. Other than that I'm not sure.

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
ok well i spose i can try a bit of everything...and thanks alot for the link i was act just reading it a few mins ago...it was the recomennded tank size that was my main concern...as for now i hav a rainbow or red tail on the cards tho*BOUNCINGS

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I've kept a red tail and loved him. If you take good care of them their red tails become very very bright and beautiful, everyone that saw him said he was their favourite (he was in my primary "show tank" in my living room). Never kept the rainbow sharks, but I'm sure either would be fine as long as that is ALL you add to the tank. That's an interesting stocking.

Jul 11, 2009
Ohio
I'd say you would be okay with the tank... they say "recommended" tank size, so that's just the best situation. But my Red Tail is fine in my 30gal, some fish outgrow the tank but some just grow to the size of the tank/space they have. Where as my dad has a 75gal and his Red Tail is HUGE! Definitely gorgeous, and the Rainbow. Maybe I'll take some pictures!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I wouldn't consider a tank size recommendation as "the best situation." That is the very minimum tank size considered acceptable for that type of fish. Red tails do need to be rehomed once they are large enough, you don't want to stunt any fishes growth.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
rainbows will get along with tigers. ive kept them together for a very long time and did well with them. no experience with the red tails though. here are some pics of mine also you can see more in the thread i just recently posted in the general discussion area. i love my sharks though just can get a little aggressive when they get older

the one im getting rid of

and the bala but should be in a minimum of 100g