Raising my dkh levels

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
My dkh levels have been consistently at 6 for the past week, two weeks and I have been adding buffer in as directed and it is not making a dent! Could I be using a tester kit that is no longer effective? Any thoughts on this?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Ahh you hockey buffs.......I am from the west coast also.....Vancouver Island......I miss hockey talk living in the midwest now......They just aren't as dedicated to Hockey Night in Canada here as they are there...

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
lol yup I'm from Burnaby, we have a street by a hockey rink here called Joe Sakic Way.

I don't know about the rotting food, anything is always possible but I've been feeding flake food and mysis shrimp and they seem to eat all of it, at least enough so that no pieces are left big enough to start rotting.

I do use Calcium, I'm using Kent Marine Concentrated Liquid Calcium as directed and my superbuffer is Kent Marine Superbuffer dKH.

Perhaps I should check my magnesium levels? I don't have a kit for that yet, what levels should they be at?

Lorna, can you please rephrase your question please, lol its a bit hard for me to understand. Also, where in Vancouver Island are you from, I go over there periodically and it is so beautiful!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If you don't have a lot of calcium demand and you are supplementing and doing regular water changes you may have a very high ca level which is adding to your problem....ca and alk work in a balance a find dance I believe.....what i meant was that alk/dh is measured in a couple of different measurements.....one is meq/l and a good alk level at that measurement is between 4-5 I believe that is about 9 - 10 in other measures......sorry I don't mean to be confusing.

I lived in Pt Alberni for 30 years before moving to the mid west in 98.......I get back to van every year or so as all my family live there or in the Okanagan.......still very strong ties to that part of the world......in fact just typing this makes me a tad homesick....missing Whitespot hamburgers...Tim Hortons and coffee crisp chocolate bars......the things we expats need to keep us going...