Randomly stocked 55g Question

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
I bought myself a 55g because I wanted a community tank of "pretty fish" I bought 15 barbs (greens, tigers, albino tigers) 3 platinum lyre tail mollies, 5 fancy guppies, I have a chocolate pleco which is just barely 3", 3 pictus cats and 1 horribly fat ugly brown catfish which I have no idea what it is.
I'm down to (after 4 months) 13 barbs, still the 3 mollies, just 1 guppy. Pleco and cats are fine also.
Questions being ::

Did I over stock or do I have room for more fish?
What is the correct water to fish ratio once again?
My remaining guppy likes to swim around mid-tank level and tries to buddy with the mollies. It looks like he tries kissing them lol. He swims all around them as close as can be. Now is he trying to bully? Or trying to gain entry to the molly cult?

I have alot of fake plants in which they all swim around play and hide. 3 caves.

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Oh I'm sorry,

The tank has been set up and running for about 6 months. It sat empty for awhile during the fish selection process.
My paramaters I won't know unfortunately until tomorrow. I left my testing kit in the car over night.. and well being -8 last night below 0.. the drops froze. I will buy a new kit tomorrow morning. My aplogies for the lack of info.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
No prob.
Ya after freezing I would buy a new kit too. If you lost the fish early in the tanks life then I would say it was something from the cycle. If it has been recent it is probably something else. I would say that now you are at the proper stocking level for you tank. I dont think that I would add any thing more.

MAHA

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
The tank itself has had water in it for 2 months before I added any fish. I didn't cylce it as I was intimidated by the process. I did a fish-in cycle and attibuted that to my fish loss.
Any input on the guppy behavior?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, you sound pretty stocked up. You may be able to add a couple guppies (make sure they are the same sex as the one you have, otherwise prepare for more fish). Livebearers seem to be happier if they have a small group. Make sure you are doing your water changes regularly, you have a pretty big bio-load on that tank. And make sure to test your water! :)