Rasboras and Yoyos -- Suggestions on what to add?

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
I'm finally cycled and feeling a lot more confident about my little 10g. :) I've got 2 yoyo loaches (each about 2.5" long) and I added 3 harlequin rasboras (each between 0.5" and 1") last night. They are getting acclimated and their color is returning very nicely.

Do you think I could add some more rasboras? I'd like to get a little bit of a school going, and I think they would be happier with a few more friends. They school together a little, but because there are so few of them, it's hard to tell. Would I be able to add another 2-3 rasboras and maybe a dwarf gourami or docile betta?

I've got a single live sword plant to help me take care of the nitrates a little, and everyone in there currently has nice color and looks happy. I'll obviously wait a week or so before adding anyone else, but I want to get an idea what my options are.

(I'm aware that the 10g is a temporary setup for my loaches.)

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
My harlequins have turned a beautiful lipstick pink! I'm assuming that this is their normal color and that they were just a little stressed in the store (they had their black triangles in the store, just no pink color). I think I'll get another two and see if they school a little better, and then go from there.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i thought that kuhli loaches could live out there whole lives in a 10g, they only get to like 3 inches dont they?

i think if you add a few more rasboras and a dwarf gourami to your tank you will have a nice, well balanced little community tank.

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
I actually have yoyo loaches, not kuhli loaches, which is why they may need a larger tank eventually. :p I'm happy to hear that I'm not overstocked, and look forward to buying a couple more rasboras, once the 3 I have settle in a little more!

Edit: After thinking about it, would maybe adding an otto to my list be too much? The loaches do great clean up, but they don't get the algae on my plant or the glass. I would wait until everything else is really well settled to add him, of course, because I know how fragile they are. :c

Last edited:

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
duh :p. that was a bit of a lack of concentration on my part :D. yeah your right though, yoyo loaches will get to big. i think adding an otto should be ok, as long as the loaches are fairly small anyway.