Re-cycling tank question

Jul 30, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Ok, here goes...

The other day I discover that my HOB Penguin Mini Filter had broken. I probably could have ordered parts and fixed it, but Marineland has since come out with a new and improved version, the Penguin 100. So I went out and purchased that one. After I got it, I discovered that the Bio-Wheel from the Mini does not fit in the 100. So my tank has to be recycled.

Well now I'm afraid that this is going to be really bad for the fish. When I first started this tank, I made the common mistake of putting too many fish in too fast while the cycle was still going on. End result of that one is all the fish caught ich and died. Now I'm terribly afraid it'll happen again. I can't take any fish out, since I have no other tanks. So I guess my question for this story is this: What should I be on the look out for to prevent another disaster?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, the bio-wheel isn't the only place that has bacterial colonies -- every hard surface in your tank will have cycle bacteria on it. So, you may have a mini-cycle, but it shouldn't be a full cycle. If the old bio-wheel hasn't dried out, you can float it in the tank to help.

Keep checking your ammonia and nitrites, and do water changes when necessary, if you do get a mini cycle.

By the way, your goldfish will need a larger home fairly soon. :)

Jul 30, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah, I know they need a larger tank. The problem I have is that I only have room right now for maybe a 30 gal max. But I also want to start a fresh water community tank really bad, so maybe I'll have to use the larger tank for my goldies, and use my ten gal as a community tank.