re snails

Oct 31, 2005
kent
advice please

i have a 2ft tank,in it i have 3 albino corys and about 20 guppy fry.i seem to have picked up 2 different types of snails and now my tank is completely over run with baby snails.any ideas on what fish i can take out of my big tank to eat some of them without losing any of my guppy fry?ta. sam x

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'm not sure if kuhli loaches eat snails or not?? you could try...

Otherwise you want to be careful not to overfeed because the snails will continue to over populate if there is plenty of food for them. Since there are fry in there I know you have to feed quite often so that might mean some more water changes to make sure all of the leftovers are picked up.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
No, kuhli loaches do NOT eat snails. If they did, I'd have a snail-free 10g. The other loaches probably do, if they are just going in there temporarily to eat snails and then are being moved back, they would probably work. Otherwise, depending on the type of loach, they probably get too big for a group of them in the 20g. I think most loaches are fine with guppy fry.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
With clown loaches, you might want to only try 2 of them and only for a few days (plus it's easier to catch 2 than 4). They will do a very good job on the snails though, they should be able to take care of the problem pretty quickly.