Ready 4 the Hurricaine Season

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Power went off for about three hours yesterday evening, so I hooked up the generator to the tank for the first time and it didn't skip a beat. I didn't hook up the MH Lights , just the T5s. Got me to thinkin though, how long can the tank go with out the power heads being on? I am guessing that it really wouldn't hurt my polyps and zoas, but the fish might be another story.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You want to run the powerheads in the event of a power outage as the water movement is what creates the turbulence at the surface for gas exchange. Lights are really not that necessary except in a very long protracted outage. Heating is a problem for those in the northern areas during the winter but not your problem. You need to keep the water oxygenated....number one priority, everything else is gravy.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I agree with Lorna on the powerheads being the priority.

It will really depend on your stocking levels and surface area for how long the fish can go without water movement. A few hours should be OK for almost any tank. Corals should be fine without water movement for a few days.