Ready to stock

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
Ok I am 100% sure the cycling process is almost done. Now what kind of fish should I get? I would love some opinions. Right now I have 3 tiger barbs, 1 dwarf guarami, and 1 sunburst platy in a 23G tall. If this was your tank what would you add?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
3 more tiger barbs... 2 more platys.... just to round it out a bit..... then you are basically full up although I'd want some type of bottom dweller... an oto or 3 are your best bet though.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
definetly get more tiger barbs. I find that schools look better in odd numbers, so you could get 2 more tiger barbs or 3, it's your tank, it's your choice. That's just my opinion. Anyways, I heard there's something to do with the fins to tell platies apart, although unfortuately I don't know.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would get 2 more tiger barbs, 2 more platy, and 3 corycats (pandas or albino). You don't really have room for much else. With the tiger barbs in there, no fry from the platies would survive anyways, so no worries there. Make sure you only add 1-2 fish at a time so your cycle can keep up.

Jun 15, 2009
couple more tiger barbs, platty`s and a couple of corycats sound like your best bet. Just be careful cause the tigers do like to nip fins a bit.

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
Thanks for the picture Shane. I am noticing that no one is recommending I get another dwarf guarami. Is there a particular reason why I wouldn't want to get another one. Out of all the fish I have he is my favorite but if it is bad to have 2 I won't get another one.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Very true. I've in the past been lucky at some times but not so lucky at other with gouramis, and the luck came from a large tank where the other male could hide if needed. The problem is, it's quite hard to find females for sale nowadays because they're duller in colour, and even if you found one I'd still put them both in a bigger tank to avoid harrassment from the male.

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
your welcome...and i agree...i would leave it at just one gourami...like the others have sed hell b a nice "centerpeice fish"

just keep an eye on the tiger barbs incase they start nipping him..

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I think tiger barbs in a group are much less likely to go after anything but another tiger barb.....My gourami actually charges at my tigers while they are schooling like a 12 year old scuba diving through some school of fish...And then the tigers all scatter and the gourami seems pleased and goes back to feeling random things with his feelers.