Recommendations for bottom feeders?

Sep 3, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
My tank has been up and running for a bout a month and half now and I am getting ready to add a few more fish. I know i need a bottom feeder or two to help clean up missed food. DO you guys recommend plecos or other alternatives like snails and shrimp? Thanks for the help!

Illyria

Small Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Illinois
The Rubber Pleco(Parancistrus aurantiacus) They get up to 8-9 inches, so not to big for your 29 Gallon tank. I have 2 of them and they do very well with my fish.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I like stick to smaller bottomfeeders, like cory catfish or small loaches. Or an upsidedown catfish, they do very well if you've got enough spaces for them to hide. Clown loaches get a bit big so you'd have to trade them in eventually. Loaches and cories also both need groups to feel comfortable, you'd want at least 4-5 cories and at least 3 loaches.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I've noticed that my upside down catfish keep sand cleaner than the other various substrates I've had in their tank. The're fun to watch when the come out but that's not often. My clown loaches did a bang up job on all the substrates and they are very fun to watch. They grow very slow so you'd have time to get a bigger tank but there are smaller loaches that would be just as good at cleaning up.

Take a look at PlanetCatfish.com :: Welcome! They've got loads of pics and profiles. If you see one you like you can post it here with any questions you have.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I suggest cories...but get atleast 6. Panda cories are fun to watch. They are constantly playing amongst themselves. They also stay 2 inches, so 6 would be fine in your tank.

A bristlenose or rubbernose pleco would work, as both get around 5 inches, but they produce alot of waste.

Go with the cories...they are very entertaining and won't outgrow the tank :).

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The only way that you are going to have extra food on the bottom of the tank is if you over feed. Also not feeding your fish for a day will cause them to clean the tank too should there be any extra food. If you are wanting fish to stay near the bottom then in your tank I think that Cories are your best bet. You dont have room in you tank for too many so I would just get a trio (3). Wouldnt Loaches eat the shrimp???

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I love apple snails. I make a point of having one in each of my tanks because they literally clean everything up, eat some algae, clean up any leftover food etc.