Recommendations...

Rootdok

Small Fish
Apr 7, 2006
We are in the process of setting up a new 46 gallon freshwater tank and are trying to decide what fish to get. My wife wants lots of color in the tank, so I was leaning towards Cichlids. But, she also said she would like lots of fish, so that may limit the Cichlids. Plus I'm not sure we want an agressive tank. Any suggestions as to what types of fish could add color to our tank? Thanks in advance.

Rootdok

Small Fish
Apr 7, 2006
BTW, I forgot to mention that I am going to have a few live plants at first as well. I'm going to mix live and artifical plants. I'm not sure if I want to jump into a new tank and live plants, so I'm just going to dabble with a few simple plants for now.

Apr 6, 2006
Check out my tank. Your ideas sound alot like what I wanted in a tank. I didn't like the idea of my fish fighting or eating each other, and I wanted lots of fish with a variety of shapes and color. Research the fish profiles and find good candidates. As far as your plants go, your choices will be dictated by your lighting. 1 watt per gallon is considered a minimum. All the ones I have are low light plants. Be sure to read up on the Nitrogen cycle and consider using Bio-Spira if you can find it. Good luck!!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Rainbows are absolutely beautiful, active and generally peaceful. You may want to look into a couple schools of different types. Keep in mind, if they're closely related, they may hybridize over time. Find disparate species. -- there are plenty to choose from. :)

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i have to agree on the rainbows, im a rainbow pusher, they are fascinating fish to watch especialy at feeding time, such peacful fish until you throw bloodworms and brine shimp in the tank, like a bunch of pirahnas eating lol, mine almost jump out of the tank when i feed them.

Rootdok

Small Fish
Apr 7, 2006
Thanks for the input. I'm buying the first round of fish tomorrow. I think I'm going with some rainbows. Thanks for the links, they made making up my mind easier.

Rootdok

Small Fish
Apr 7, 2006
Here is the rundown for my tank...

2 rainbows
2 dwarf gouramis
3 neons & 1 cardinal tretas (he thinks he is a neon)
2 longfin rosey barbs
2 female bettas (one red, one blue)
3 glofish

We have no scavengers yet. I am going to pick something up this week, I wanted to let the tanks build up a little food supply first. I'm either going to get some sort of spotted pleco or some otos and maybe some shrimp. Thoughts?

Rootdok

Small Fish
Apr 7, 2006
yahoofishkeeper said:
i would stay away from large plecos... maybe a bristle nose? or corys, or otos... im sure someone else has better ideas. is your tank cycled?
Oh ya, I forgot we have 2 Julii Corys. I used bio-spira to cycle the tank. I was planning on getting a pleco that stays relatively small, no bigger than 6 inches or so. No way my wife will go for a bristle nose. She is kind of picky about the fish.

Rootdok

Small Fish
Apr 7, 2006
wilsonriverfish said:
i like gouramis I have a blue,golden and another blue one that seems to change colors? There good fish and seem to be very harty. Also check out swordtails they are pretty cool.
We have one blue and one honey. The honey is driving the blue one a little crazy and nipping it.