Recommended fish for small aquarium

Sep 27, 2008
What kind of fish would you recommend for a a 2.5 gallon unheated aquarium? Its just an extra one i have sitting around, The only thing i can think of is a betta, any other recommendations?

Oct 6, 2008
I live in texas
oh man this is verrrrry discouraging....I'm a student here at the local uni......I have a 2.5 gallon tank and have yet to put fish in it it is running and doing its thing..... I have no idea what to put in it I was planning to go this Friday to purchase fish, my mom suggested blood fin tetras but how many and if not those then what and how many I am so so so confused........

Jun 21, 2008
Poly, I would agree with the other suggestions on here. But, in addition to that, do you know about cycling a tank? There are stickys on it that you should read up on, but, even if you do, it can be hard to keep a tank that small cycled, especially if it is overstocked. Just ask TAL ;) who will hopefully jump in here. He had a 3 gallon way overstocked, and couldn't get his ammonia and nitrite levels down. A tank that small will probably be more frustrating than it's worth unless you only have 1 or 2 fish in it, or shrimp. I know nothing about shrimp, so someone else will have to help you out there.