Red Algae?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
More skimming, more circulation, more clean up crew. No chemicals for me, far too risky. How much is the prism getting out?

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
The prisim doesn't get much out. Some days it's hit and miss. I have to constantly adjust the thing. It's the next thing on my upgrade list, or, as my wife calls it, The money pit! What do you think of the wet/dry filters with the built in skimmers? I think CPR makes them.

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
I used chemi-clean in my 72 reef and I had no side effects at all. Just make sure you follow the directions. And do a water change after a couple days after putting it in. Also, when there is algae there is a food source. Find the food source and use less and the algae will subside.

lostatsea

Small Fish
Mar 30, 2004
Visit site
Keep in mind, I'm kinda a newbie still, but I had the same problem in my 55 gal. I tried water changes, cleaning the algae out every day, cutting back light time and nothing helped!!! Finally found erythromycin tablets and tried them (LFS should carry) Put one tablet in either side of tank, repeated a week later and took care of problem. Try and use as last resort though because it can and will kill off the bacteria that is useful to your tank!!!!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I strongly urge not to use chemical tablets in your tank, especially since you have live rock. First how long has the tank been set-up? How much live rock do you have? How much lighting do you have? What kind of lights? What kind of fish? Are you running biological filtration in your two filters? How much water movement do you have? Do you use R.O water for make up and water changes? And what is the PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity, Oxygen levels.

These facts would be appreciated. I have had slime algae in two tanks. 90% of the time its because of phosphates. Use R.O. water for everything, clean your filters every week, if your light hasnt been replaced in 6-8 months..replace it, and upgrade your protein skimmer. Also if your fish are heavy feeders (e.g. Tangs, angels, lionfish, triggers, morays, or big wrasses) then you should cut down on the feedings.

Sam Reef