Red algae

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well let us know your setup. Lighting? Fertilization? Plants? Inhabitants? CO2?

Usually this algae is caused by fluctuating or low CO2 levels in planted tanks, and that's all I really know. Let us know more about your tank as it will help out a tonne :).

EDIT: My bad- I didn't realize this was in the saltwater section. Just ignore me :p.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
are we talking about cyano or diatoms? either way its usually caused by high nutrients (nitrates,phosphates) and lack of flow .... test your params n get them in check through water changes and increase the flow to the problem areas
btw its usually phosphates which alot of people dont test for ;)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
if you have high nutrients such as nitrate and phosphates your test results may show these are okay as the cyano is actually using it......I would increase the flow, cut down on feedings and do water changes and remove as much as you can during the water changes......you need to find out the reason and correct it otherwise it will just come back

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
when u do a water change u could also try and siphon as much as u can out... i find that maes a huge differance...but like lorna said cut back on feeding, increase flow, and another thing u could try is extended lights out (leave the lights off for a few day)