RED ALGIE

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
A FRIEND HAS A TANK ABOUT 60 GAL. OR SO. BUT HE HAS RED ALGIE I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS, BUT HE CANT SEEM IT GET RID OF IT. IT JUST KEEPS GROWING BACK. ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THIS? ITS LOOKS LIKE RED SLIME.

B]RYANRODRIGUEZ[/B] It sounds like cyanobacteria (sometimes called red slime alge) and this can be caused by a number of things, for example bad or incorect lighting, too many Nutrients in the water (maybe feeding too much)

Best way to get rid of it is regular maintenance, and replacing the evaporation with ro/di water, check the lighting (maybe the lights are getting old and need replacing)

This page should give you a bit more info:
Click here

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
agree with ausiefish

could play with the photcycle a little if you are sure the chemical levels are OK...one thing you can do to kill it off (i had to do this with hair algae in my nano) is turn the lights way down to around 2 or 3 hours a day (i actually went black for 2 days, but i didnt have any delicate photsynthetic corals, just some shrooms and polyps) to kill the stuff, changing out maybe 10% of the water each evening and after those few days do a 25% change and sratr running a phosphate sponge (I used Kent Marine's product) in a HOB filter for a couple days...the thing is, even if you read no phosphates if you have extensive algae growth it wont show until you kill the algae and re-release the phosphates, same prinicple for nitrates/trite...

also, as ausie said may sure your topoff water and new saltwater is not full of nitrites/trates or phosphates

i would ignore dizbjon as he has no idea what he is talking about

KB