Red Glass Barbs

Mar 7, 2008
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could give me any information on this fish? Its common name is the Red Glass Barb, and I haven't been able to find its scientific name. I think it's a genetic derivative of the Rosy Barb. Any information about this beautiful little guy would be helpful. I've found some info already (not much), but I want to make sure it's valid. (It was mainly from pet stores, and I prefer to take pet store info with a grain of salt.) Here's a pretty clear video of the little guys from youtube:

YouTube - Red Glass Barb & Eclipse Catfish

Anyways, anything you guys can tell me about them would be awesome!! :eek:

Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for the reply! I've actually already found this webpage, and it seems quite informative. However, I haven't really been able to find *anything* else on-line! I was hoping for more info, to cross-reference, since a lot of different sites tend to give slighlty different information about fishies.

Mar 7, 2008
I tried that before, but it's the scientific name for the Rosy Barb, not the Red Glass Barb. I think the Red Glass Barb is basically just a genetically modified variant of the Rosy Barb, but I don't know if they would still have the exact same needs/parameters/etc. :( I'm especially curious if it might have any proneness to specific diseases which the Rosy wouldn't have. I also want to make sure that its colour is genetically engineered, and not painted.

Mar 7, 2008
Oh, I didn't see the second part! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :)

I'm quite happy to have joined a forum, and to be on my way to establishing my first semi-aggressive tank! *BOUNCINGS

Mar 7, 2008
Thanks! I had that suspicion, but I was a bit worried that it might be less hardy/have problems, and I figured it was safest to check. That's great news, because they're probably pretty sturdy then, and I think they're great looking fish. I’m hoping to maybe upload pictures of my barbs later, because they’re females, and all the pictures I can find on the internet are of males. The females look different from the males, and I find them quite striking. Once again, thanks Dr fish and Lotus for all your help. :)

Mar 7, 2008
Thanks. So far they seem to be nearly as hardy as the typical rosies... except for one little fishie I got. She was sick straight from the store. :( I put her in quarantine, and I'm going to bring her back soon. Atleast this way she should be healthier when I bring her back, and have a better chance for survival there, and I won't be endorsing selling sick fishies. Atleast I keep telling myself that. :( I hope I'm doing the right thing... I've already started to get attached to it.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Is there any reason why you're bringing her back? Not to make you feel guilty, but I bet she'd have a much better chance of survival in your quarantine tank than at the LFS.

And, my apologies for taking so long to get to this: welcome to the Tank, HallucinoJinn!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Agreed, she'd have a better chance with you then going through all the stress of moving to yet another different tank. Take her body back and ask for a new one if she passes.