red growth

Dec 4, 2005
i have a rust brown red growth growning all over the sides and front of my tank it is a 90 gal. it is also growning on the live rock at the bottom of the tank i am wonderiong what it is and will it hurt my fish. also how do i stop it from growing. and will it hurt it to just wipe it off please help i am in dire need

Dec 4, 2005
how do i get rid of it i have two fluval 404 filters running along with two powerheads is it hte filtration or something i am doing to cause it to grow

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
First those 2 fluval...they have media in it ?? If they do, they can become a nuisance and lead to nitrates problems. I got rid of my cyano like 7 months ago when i reduced phosphates, shortened lighting time, increased water flow, and raised ph to almost 8.4, with a 1.024 min salinity.
It never came back.
Also, old fluorescent/bulbs can help this red carpet to develop.
If you plan to wipe it off, don't do it IN the tank, it would greatly spread it.
Use a bucket ( filled with your tank's water , and take on rock at a time and clean it )..but i never had to do this, and it eventually faded away completely. Try to avoid dead zones ( no flow ) in your tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lower means low, like 1.010 or 1.011 to effectively fight parasites. Anyone who thinks 1.018 is going to do much to parasites is somewhat optimistic.

How deep is the substrate, what size bits (size in mm thanks) and how often hoovered?