Red Sea Berlin Classic

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
Hi i just purchased a Red Sea Berlin with the venturi nozzle in the base. Its the hang on the tank model that im using in my sump over the side. Im using a Mag Drive 5 to run it but it doesnt skim at all and the flow out of the returns seems weak. I would think that a mag drive 5 would be sufficent power but im starting to wonder. in the manaul it says a 500gph pump and something about 10ft of head pressure. The mag 5 is only about 200-250 at 10ft so maybe its too small but that seems like alot of pump for a skimmer?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
agreed...especially for a HOB model...i mean a tank isn't designed to have a pump like that sitting in it unless its a sump...maybe someone hear has experience with the skimmer and can advise you

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
Well i was wandering about converting this to a in sump model the only difference i can find is the inlet tube vs a barb fitting in the base on the in sump models im just wandering if the water level being low in the sump could be screwing it up but it doesnt work like most hang ons since its exactly like the standard execpt the inlet pipe being bent to go over a tank side.