Red Severum Injured

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Red Severum Injured

My red severum took a good hit a couple of days ago, she now has a scaleless spot about the same size as the diameter of a pencil and now wound has become discolored, a dark brow or maybe black, but as far as I can tell nothing is growing in the wound,

Tank conditions: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate <20 Water temp 80f salt content 1 Tbsp per 5g

Is there something else I could or should do for her.

I should add she is the only female in a tank with 4 willing males, and It looks like she's in the mood to spawn so the tank is a small war zone at times.

Last edited:

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
add some garlic to their food, help her immune system fight anything off and just watch for infection. i wouldnt do alt though, kinda unneccary in freshwater

what size tank is this? it may be pretty stressfukl on her to be grouped up on, on top of the fact that she and her mate may attack other fish pretty bad if they do spawn.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
could be the area is dyng and so they wont show their color again, the scar tissue will come out a whitish grey. i have not had much experiance with wounds, scratches now and then when dishes caught the wood but that was it. but like said, keep an eye on it, and i am sure she will be fine.

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks guys I sure hope things go ok she would be a hard fish to replace, she is one of the fish that likes to interact with us, she likes being tapped on the nose.

Feb 27, 2009
I had an oscar that would play with a ping pong ball in his tank. When he was hungry, he'd head-butt it up to tap on the lid. I'd walk into the room and hear 'clink...clink...clink.' It was his way to ring the dinnerbell!

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
my oscar did too! pop them at you when you walked by, when i left the hood down youd hear the poppoppoppopopopopop and tena big splash cause he was mad the ld was down. they sure do have ATON of personality, love the bigger cichlids