Red Slime party begins

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok...got a "little" problem called red slime. Bought coral on tonga with red looking stuff ( not blood red coralline )on it, but didn't noticed at the store. 2 weeks later...cyano...not a thick or widely spreaded one...but i know it grows fast. I guess the .25 phos i have helped it grow.

So to help getting rid of some, i bought 2 ac 301 to help my other 2 ac 402 for circulation. It's 16.5 x my 55 gal / hour.

Anyone had luck removing slime with only tap water, water changes and current ?

Does it absolutely need chemical to get rid of it ? ( rowaphos to lower p04 or red slime remover )

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you have phosphate, you need to lose that. Circulation will help, but if you have phosphate and nitrate you will get mucho algae inevitably. Go Rowaphos.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
nope not necessary, put a bunch of powerheads in there really get the water moving, keep you lights on less and get rid of phosphates and nitrates, it is a must, i had a good experience using phosban in my sump, try it it is the cheapest option

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Red slime remover. The best product out there. I used this about two days ago to get rid of cyano in two of my tanks. The cyano is gone. It is about 20 bucks...safe for reefs.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok now i see some black patches on my substrate. I know cyano can be black too..and i guess a black stuff appearing on the substrate isn't a good sign. I blew away a lot of red slime and it didn't grew back . Can the black be the remain of a dead red cyano patch or should i worry more ?

It sucks this week i only have like 30 mn/ day to clean my tank or just be near my aquarium.
Just when i need to adjust things. Great.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if by "phos" you mean phosphates they sell various products for absorbing them, however that will not do you any long term good if you do not find the source (probably your top off water or mix water)

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
we'll i'm tired to see unwanted algae due to my tap water phos. My apartment plumbing looks old so i don't want to collect metals in my tank too.
The price also made me wanna have it. I know someone who bought the unit and he's very happy with it...and he's an experienced aquarist so i trust his judgement.