Red Spots/Sores

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
One of my rainbows has developed a few red spots/sores. There's one big on on his right side, a small one on his upper left side, and a couple on top. His scales are slightly raised in those areas. Any ideas on what this could be and how I can treat him? He's eating just fine and acting normal.

I'm trying to upload 3 pictures. Hopefully I posted them correctly. And sorry, they're a little blurry. I couldn't get him to stay still long enough for a clean shot. Let me know if i should try again.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrates - 20ppm
Nitrites - 0
ph - 7.5

Thanks.

Can't seem to upload pictures. I go to attach files, it thinks for a bit, then goes blank. Seems i need help with this too.

Last edited:

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Tankmates (and hopefully pics)

Boesmani Rainbowfish (sorry for being unclear). He's in a 55g tank with
1 Angelfish
2 Red Rainbowfish (juveniles)
1 Pictus
1 Suncatfish
2 Pearl Gouramis
3 swordtails
and 2 more Boemani Rainbows. (one juvenile)

(if pics don't upload again, I'll try again with another computer)

EDIT: Now i'm getting a error trying to upload pics.
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=”. The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I doubt they're wounds from aggression, given the tankmates. I think you should treat for bacterial infection. Maracyn Two with Maracyn One together, or Maracyn Plus should work. You'll probably need to treat the whole tank.

Pictures would help, if you can do that. I use Photobucket.com to upload pics, then link/embed them here. It works well for me. The attachment feature on the site only allows small pics, unfortunately, and the image size doesn't usually give a clear enough picture for ID of fish or diseases.

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
No, nothing. I did treat the tank recently for ick, however the spots were there before and i was hoping they'd disappear after, but they obviously have not.

EDIT: That's not completely true. I think i added a couple of swordtails right around that time. Then I had the outbreak of ick which I treated. I can't remember which came first, the red spots or swordtails, but i do remember treating for ich afterwards and all fishes, minues this one, come out clean. Pretty sure it's not ick anymore. There are no white spots.

Last edited:

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Tomorrow will be the 10th day of treatment (2 rounds) of Maracyn One with Maracyn Two and there has been no improvement. My Rainbow fish seems fine otherwise. Still eating well. Acting normal but still has the red spots/sores. Any other suggestions? I'm at a lost.