Red Tail Shark

AMP

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2005
i thought tiger barbs and 1 red tail shark are good tank mates? i have 8 tiger barbs and I have seen the red tail shark chase the smallest barb, the pregnate females and I just recently saw him chasing the biggest barb in the tank..what should i do? i think he doesnt like them coming on his territory. Buw how can he have a territory when i just got him yesterday...

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
my rts ( red tailed shark ) does the exagt same thing, but he nomally only does it just after feeding. has your rts got a cave or something that he can claim as his? if not i would add something like that as this may calm him down slighty

lmosness

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Moberly, MO
I don't have red fin sharks anymore (I've got to a non-agressive fish only tank). But, when I did, I had to have 2 to keep each other busy. When one died the one left went to bugging other fish whereas it never had before.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
My RTSs all forage continuously on algae and little bits of stuff too small to see. When I had bad algae problems I could see them constantly eating algae. Kinda' makes me wonder why i never hear of anybody referring to RTSs as algae eaters. They are not picky though, and will eat anything i throw at them. I give all my fish frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp a couple times a week with a turkey baster, and they love that stuff. Usually though they either hit the surface for flakes or find the sinking pellets that go in after dark. Mine are NOT skinny at all, so they're eating well enough.

lmosness

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Moberly, MO
I never had that problem. Maybe try the new crisps. They may be a little tough for the danios to mow through so they might last long enough for the rts to get some. Mine also spent a lot of time at the bottom of the tank so maybe some dried shrimp pellets would be good since they sink.