red tails on yellowtail dasels

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok got a new setup 1 month old and my 2 yellowtail damsels were fine until this morning...they both have red tails and darkened dorsal fins....they eat well and all, but it's scary. I have 0.25 ammonia..ph is 8.1. Is it external bacterial problem or stress ?
I have set up a QT...but man with 72 pounds of rock in a 55 g...it's gonna be fun to catch them. I'll try to send a pic. for now what should i do ?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
well, did u try posting your problem on reef central? thats an sw specialty site, and they would probably know what the hell is the problem
i tried following the link, but it showed up as just a pic of the reefcentral logo...hmm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Hmmm...ammonia detected in a system thats should be cycled? Did you add new live rock? I believe the red is related to stress from the ammonia. Do a partial change and get the fish out.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
you're right the link now shows the reefcentral logo. I asked reefcentral too about the prob, and a guy wrote that it seems like a fight between the 2 fishes...wich seems weird cause they have their own territory and same grey spots and red tails.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
They did not fight. Fighting leads to torn fins and missing scales. This is reddening which is a sign of stress. Take the fish out and figure out how there is ammonia in the tank.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
agree with sam

dbacksrat: this is a SW website too...there are now several members on here who really know their stuff and I think sending him elsewhere undermines that authority...haven't you gotten a lot of advice on your setup here?

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yes but not for this post. There are too many noobs posting so in 2 hours the post is already forgotten.
Anyways, i think i found part of the the problem. I reduced the feeding when the ammonia was gowing up...and i fed them with frozen shrimps. I increased the feeding frequency and mixed with flakes containing vitamins. This morning, the red is almost gone and they look better.

:)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Do you really feel forgotten? I think as a general rule we do a good job here...that isn't to say there are questions we cannot answer, but a lot of stuff like this gets dealt with quickly

I always found that things get lost on RC much more than here, or worse, you end up with a couple people fighting over the "right" answer and your question ends up becoming secondary to the flame war

Either way, I try to represent for MFT as best I can and I am happy to simply have traffic in the saltwater section ;)

Can I get a woot woot??

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
sorry dudes

no it's a misunderstanding ! U guys help me a lot...i was refering to reefcentral, where there is too much people asking questions and then if you post, in 1 hour it's on page 2 and no one cares past the first page. Too much traffic.

I can't thank you enough guys for helping me, i feel bad that i wasn't that clear .