Redtail Shark POPEYE

LedMan79

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
hi all,

i just notice my redtail shark not swimming like it should. so i looked closser and looks like pop eye.

Just did my tretra test kit. PH is 8. No2 is 0.3 NH is 0

if i take the redtail out and put it in my 10 gallon tank and treat the redtail.

Do i have to treat my 75gallon tank that it was in with my cichlids? or just treat redtail in my 10 gallon tank and do nothen with my 75gallon tank?

what is best way to clean up whatever may be cousing my popeye in the redtail shark? my other fish look fine and swimming like they normaly do.

please help.

AquaticGem

Medium Fish
May 20, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
www.bettatudes.com
Popeye can be caused by a number of things. You might want to read this article on it.

For now, I would suggest just treating the redtail, but simply observe the other fish in the 75 gallon for a while, since Popeye isn't particularly infectious. If you notice signs of popeye with any of them, however, then I would remove, and treat them (infected fish) as well.

What did you plan on treating the redtail with? I have heard from many that Kanacyn works well.

Nitrite (NO2) should be at zero, btw, so there could be an issue with water quality, over stocking, over feeding, etc.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you use Maracyn, definitely only treat the shark in another tank. It's pretty strong medicine, and can kill your biological filter.

You might want to do an extra water change in your 75, just to make sure the water is clean in there.