Reef Crystal v Instant Ocean

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
here is my opinion.

I used to use instant ocean. It was a good price and did the job. Didn't leave excess undisolved salt on the bottom or anything. Now I don't have a lot of corals, but my calcium and Alk wasn't were it should be so I switched to reef crystals. This stuff has a lot more of the trace elements that a reef tank would need. If you have a lot of corals you would still need to supplement, but more frequent water changes would also help. So far I really like the reef crystals.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Sorry I use Tropic Marin myself. I like it as it mixes clear and leaves so undisolved sediment. No problems at all....consistent good quality. Always check your salt with every new batch. ie. once mixed check your ca/alk etc. as sometimes if they have a screw up at the manufacturer you are safe....Not each time you make up water but every time you buy new salt.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
^^I would like to know that too. At 1st I bought instant ocean but a few days back ordered the reef crystals cuz it has more trace elements needed by a reef tank. Hope it will help with my PH! I think it would be ok to mix them. Its just mixing salt.

EDIT: I guess it is not OK. Well Good thing to know.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
No, as lorna said keep them separate. Id just do the different salt in the water change, no half and half, should be fine. Eventually with enough water changes itll be completely switched over.

Ive used deep ocean on my reef tank for the simple fact its dirt cheap and good enough (salt is salt, unless you have alot of Ca, etc sucking corals)... but will probably switch to Marin because its an awesome salt. Either one of your choices would be totally fine for you, really.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The only difference between Tropic Marin and Tropic Marin pro reef is the ca level......and I figure that I am supplementing that anyway so it doesn't make sense to use the more expensive salt......I really like the Tropic Marin and have found the ca level etc to be consistently dead on with every batch I have ever bought. I used seachem reef when I first started and it didn't mix well, left a crust on the bottom that all the mixing for days wouldn't disolve. I have never tried IO but have heard good things about it for the price, reef crystals is IO's reef salt isn't it? I know a lot of people use it......Steven Pro did a salt comparison on wetwebmedia I believe.....each to their own