Ref to Sand!!

Mar 31, 2003
Little Rock,Ar
Visit site
I Live in Little Rock,Ar and today I went to Home depot To see about some sand. I asked for Southdown tropical play sand the Worker said they did not carry it. I then asked if there was a way to have some shipped to this store. He went to a manger and the manger advised me there was no way to transfer the Sand. So My next option is What??????

I am wanting to Mix Live sand with reg. sand but since I can not get the southdown what other sand can I use.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Just a note, southdown sand is not live sand. It's just aragonite sand, which is prefered for saltwater tanks, as it's made out of calcium carbonate, and has the best grain size for deep sea beds.

Since southdown is unavailable, you can go to your local fish store and by some Aragonite sand. They should carry it. Alternatively, if you want to go the cheaper route, most any play sand will do. Try to get silica free sand though, or you'll eventually end up with some sort of algae bloom.

If you want some live sand, try contacting some local reefers with a live sand bed, and they might be able to help you seed your own bed. You might also be able to buy live sand at the lfs.

You should check out the reefcentral.com 's forums, as there seems to be a lot of information about southdown, and sand in general on theif forums, particularly the new to saltwater forums.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
I tried to find the southdown sand too, but there isn't a bag to be found in my area. So instead, I decided to go with the Quickrete Premium Playsand. Very nice white color, must be the right grain size since the sandbed is loaded with critters and cheap too! I think I paid around $3 a bag......