refugium mud

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I didn't use any of it, I have heard good and bad...... I just put a deep sand bed into my refugium and seeded it with live sand/grunge from my lfs rock curing pool.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ive heard both good and bad (more good) definitly not a "must have" a regular dsb works fine too.... my fuge is bare bottom :p i planned on a dsb all along but never really got around to it since the place i get my sand from is pretty far and the last 2 times i was there they didnt have any, as of right now i plan to leave it how it is since ill be upgrading to a 200+ gallon here shortly and plan on taking my time with it and doing everything exactly how i want
btw i havnt had any problems with a BB fuge ;)

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
I've since moved my refugium (containing Refugium Mud) from my reef tank to my Fish Only set up. Wasn't to thrilled with adding nutrients to the system which would sustain the macro and other algaes, when I'm actually trying to keep nutrients at a bare minimum in my reef tank.

Also, for some reason, while the display tank is barren of nuisance algae, it thrives in (and only in) the refugium (though I can't say for sure that the mud is directly responsible). On a biweekly basis I'm removing nuisance algae and feeding it to my african cichlids (my mbuna's seem to love it!).