refugium plants

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
what are the preffered plants for a ref. Iam thinking mangrove and caulerpa. is this ok? isn't there one i should stay away from and what is that?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
chaeto is the big one everyone wants now...caulerpa is good, the only reported problem is that it tends to "go sexual" and so it spreads all over the place...halimeda is also good ive heard, but i dont run a refugium ;)

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
If you have an tang or herbivore fish..don't worry if the caulerpa gets sometimes in the main tank. It's a fish candy. I had a drilled rubbermaid basket hooked near the waterline..my tang bashed it when i was away...no more caulerpa..i had 2 handfull. His belly was so huge.

If you check some sump/refugium on the net...you'll see that almost everytime, people use huge load of caulerpa in their sump, often with no super lighting. Cheap, efficient to eliminate nitrates/phosphates and doesn't require calcium..unlike halimeda. It's a wanted pest ;) that reproduce so fast.
I find a guy who sells mangrove...very cheap and they look great. I'll test it.
It looks more difficult to handle, due to the size/head out of water matters..
Mangroves are endangered by hotel chains in Florida..so why not help to save those precious plants/trees. Oh yeah..and if they are endangered..so are many fishes and creatures that look for protection behind the mangrove's roots.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
camaro: you dont run a ref.? why have you chose not to? what do you use for a filter? what are yer parameters? mainly nitrates? do you have a sump/overflow?
Thanks man....

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
no refugium for me...its not that I don't want one, just didn't have the resources (cash) for setting one up when I did the tank. With my current setup I would have to install the refugium outside of the stand due to the sump and I do not want to do that. I will definitely set up a refugium on my next tank. As far as filtration I have no mechanical filtration, the LR is my biological filtration and I run a skimmer. Nitrates are under 5ppm