refugium??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
how beneficial are they??? i dont have a sump on any of my tanks and dont plan on it until i move in june. however in the mean time should i start seting up a refugium like one of the hob kind?? will it be worth it??

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I wouldn't set-up another salttank without one. It is a great way to increase water volume and also an excellent nutrient exporter. My lettuce leaf macro dropped my nitrates down to nothing in a week. Best thing I have done for my tank!! Nitrates down= better coralline and coral growth and less nuisance algae.*thumbsups
I prefer an under the tank fuge than an HOB.... but with an HOB more pods can "seed" the tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
limi did one on here with a aquaclear and I have done a couple also.......you just remove the basket and cut the grid part off to use as a strainer on the water return......and part for a divider if you want......easy as pie, clip on an itty bitty book light and you are good to go.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Take the carbon bag out and rinse it every couple of days that way it won't build up crap in it.

Ulva algae I think is what lettuce algae is. You can buy it on ebay....

I moded two old aquaclear 70's for my tanks as temp fuges and they work great.....I just cut the grid part of the basket off and silconed it to the water outflow as an algae gate......clipped on a mini book light......and viola......hob fuge......have my heater for my 20g in one now with some liverock rubble.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
so am i just delusional about the removing the carbon??? lol ... what do you need the carbon for??? that kinda defetes the biological filtration idea

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was just under the understanding that biological filtration had to do with using your live rock for filtration oposed to using the conventional filter/carbon ect....

does anyone know where i can find a clipon reading light that has a power cord not batteries???? a link would be appreciated

TRe said:
i was just under the understanding that biological filtration had to do with using your live rock for filtration oposed to using the conventional filter/carbon ect....

does anyone know where i can find a clipon reading light that has a power cord not batteries???? a link would be appreciated
you DO use the LR as bio filtration. i think the carbon is mechanical, since it removes things from the water.

and heres a couple lights.
Small & Desktop Aquarium Lighting: Galaxy & Palm Compact Fluorescent Lights

Last edited: