Remora Aqua C with Maxjet 1200

Apr 11, 2006
Hi, I just bought a used remora aquaC with the Maxjet 1200 pump from ebay. Seller said he used it for 3 months. Everything look and work great to my opinion. I have been runing the unit for 5 hours now and it seems like the collection cup didn't not collect anything yet. Did I installed something wrong?

Apr 11, 2006
saltwater84 said:
Hi, I just bought a used remora aquaC with the Maxjet 1200 pump from ebay. Seller said he used it for 3 months. Everything look and work great to my opinion. I have been runing the unit for 5 hours now and it seems like the collection cup didn't not collect anything yet. Did I installed something wrong?

I forgot to mention something. The collection cup seems to be up a little higher than the ones I see on AquaC website, I try to push the cup down but that the max it will go.

Apr 11, 2006
But the unit has been used, which means that the units has gone throught the break in period already, it should start collecting protein immediately to my opinion. The collection cup seems to be sitting too high, is that the problem?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
It could be. Try moving the black o-ring located on the collection cup either up or down. I've had mine since the end of December and I still haven't figured it all out, so let me know what works for you.
One more tip: don't fiddle with the screw that sits under the collection cup. I messed with mine, and now I get an overflowing cup of almost clear skimmate. Also don't forget to clean it out every so often.

Feb 28, 2005
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
I have the same unit and i messed with the screw thing underneath the collection cup because i felt i wasn't getting enough skimmate with the collection cup all the way down. now i get this nasty dark green, almost black, smelly skimmate in the collection cup about half an inch deep per week. Works well for me. When i first got it it, it took about three weeks to actually start collecting a descent amount of skimmate.

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with you wyane, it should start collecting right away. I thinking the collection cup is sitting to high, but I can't push it any further down. The bubbles that are form are half way between the tunnel that lead to the collection cup, should the bubbles be almost all the way up at the top of the tunnel where it empty into the collection cup? Is my pump, not strong enought??

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Im in the same boat as you (looking at remoras to purchase from ebay)

Is there anyway you could throw up a picture for us to see so maybe we could see something that you wouldnt catch. I also know this is a long shot but the seller who was using it may have used it for 3 months but had it installed incorrectly and would leave the break in period? How knowledgable was he/she on the subject (did it sound like she was just uprading or were they just selling it?)

Apr 11, 2006
He is sold the skimmer because he broke down his tank and sold everything so he no longer need the skimmer. Yes, I would like to take a picture and post it but how do you do that??

Jul 3, 2005
Ranson, WV
Remora C w/ 1200

saltwater84 said:
I forgot to mention something. The collection cup seems to be up a little higher than the ones I see on AquaC website, I try to push the cup down but that the max it will go.
Even with the Oring off your cup will stick up about and inch. You will want to start with it at the deepest setting and day by day adjust the ring down until you get as dry a foam as possible. This won't happen fast. Give it a day or so between lowering the Oring. It may even overflow the cup until you get it set just right so, keep an eye on it. Remember nothing good ever happens fast in a marine Enviro.

Apr 11, 2006
I try everything to make the cup go down but it seems like there is a camber stopping me from pushing it further down. Ok, there is three camber in the skimmer, the left which is the one that intake the water, the middle is the one that produces the bubbles, and the right one is the one that discharges the water. The one to the right is the highest one so it is preventing me to push the cup downward. The cup stick out about 1inch or a little bit higher. It odd, one side of the cup seems to be higher than the other side. When I flash my flashlight at the cup, I do see tiny fine bubbles arising from the tunnel, is this a sign that I have installed everything correct and my skimmer is functioning correctly? There is no way the cup will be overflow, the big bubbles are being created almost near the bottom of the tunnel that leads to the cup even with the lowest setting. Is this normal?? I wish I could post a picture so you guys know what I am talking about, but I can't upload it to the site.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2005
Ranson, WV
The cup should be level in the skimmer but, sticking up about an inch or so is normal. As for the bubbles in the tube it sounds like its working fine. just let it ride. you should soon see some results in the cup just give it some time. I had the same effects when I first set mine up. I finally just left it alone for a few days and it started working fine.

Apr 11, 2006
Finally, I got a result, this morning when I woke up, I pulled up the collection cup to see if there is anything in there, there was some oily yellowish murky water in there. Are those protiens? Aren't they suppose to be dry?