Removing ammonia

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Prime helps with Nitrites not Ammonia.

How big is your tank? What is in your tank? How often do you do water changes? How long has your tank been up?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help to know.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Never used Prime so can't comment but Ammo Lock just detoxifies Ammonia so it ain't harmful to the fish,it will still be worked on by the bacteria in the normal way afaik.

TLH said:
Never used Prime so can't comment but Ammo Lock just detoxifies Ammonia so it ain't harmful to the fish,it will still be worked on by the bacteria in the normal way afaik.
I tried Ammo Lock this past week...it didn't seem to help a whole lot when my Amonia spiked. However, I found a dead angel afterwards, so it may have just been keeping it at a certain level. I'll see what happens from here on out.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
If you use ammo lock it will still have the same reading of ammonia, because your test kit cannot distinguish between the toxic ammonia and the non-toxic form it is converted to after treating with ammo lock.

If anything I would say your angel died from the damage that was already done by the ammonia. They don't tend to fare well against even trace amounts of ammonia in the water.