Repairing a crack in a tank

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
They were tossing out three small tanks where I work so I grabbed them. A 5 gallon and two 2 1/2 gallon tanks. The 5 gallon is an older style with metal frame. I noticed a crack about 5 inches long on the bottom panel.

I was going to test them all before I tried using them. And based on their size they are easy to manage.

Has anyone here ever repaired a crack in a glass tank before?

Jun 21, 2008
I think that for one that small you may be able to just silicon a new piece of glass on top of the old one instead of re-sealing the whole thing. But, I haven't done it myself, so I'm not positive about that. It would be cool to fix the old one, those are interesting looking. I think that even if you did end up replacing and re-sealing the whole thing it's a pretty straightforward, but messy, process. You could google DIY aquarium repair and see what you come up with, at least until someone with personal experience responds. Congrats on your find.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Putting a new piece of glass over the existing one was my first thought as well and just silicone it well. I would probably make sure that it covered as much of the bottom as possible though.

Other than this, to replace the bottom pane, you would probably have to remove all 4 other panes of glass as well since most I've seen the sides sit on top of the bottom. Yep, it would be a mess and take some time, but would be a good learning experence for you and at the end you have the satisfaction of saying "I did that".

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
I have a crack in the bottom of my nano cube. I just spread a thick layer of silicone over the crack and let it dry good. Then I put a few large blobs of silicone on the bottom before I set the tank in place (with a piece of cardboard underneith) just to provide a little support from the bottom and relieve a little of the pressure on the crack. Have had no problems, about 8 months. Knock on wood.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
That's kind of what I was thinking. Spreading some silicone over it would be my first try and would be inexpensive.

I didn't think of adding a new entire piece over the bottom. I may look into that too. The tank is small enough that it would not be under too much stress.

Thanks for the replies.