rescued another betta

Oct 8, 2004
GEORGIA
Visit site
well here i am again on the subject of bettas. I was in walmart doing some shopping and i passed the fish and just had to go look. I saw a really bad looking female betta and bought her, shes in bad shape and i need to know how to fix her. Her fins are all clamped lethargic and her water was nasty i mean nasty. i got her home and immediatley gave her some good water to swim in of course cleaned out the bowl and put nice water in and added a little melafix is this a good idea or should i put her in a breeder box in my 10 gallon?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I wouldn't put her in a tank with other fish either, just because she could easily be sick and infect the others. I kept my current female in a small container for about a week just to make sure she didn't bring diseases with her. Since she is used to the lower temperature right now, she should do fine for a while until she looks healthier.

Oct 8, 2004
GEORGIA
Visit site
shes still in her little cup and i tried to feed her two pellets which she totally ignored and her fins are still clamped im so mad at walmart right now i could scream. i feel all animals can feel pain and distress just like we do and pearl that is what i have named her was just pathetic. i just didnt have enough money to buy the rest of them and the males are in just as bad shape i think i might go back tomorrow and speak to a manager. but i will update tomorrow on her status.

Oct 8, 2004
GEORGIA
Visit site
yes i have a way of buying live food im hoping i wasnt to late though i will buy her some tomorrow while i am out im just so disgusted still. i wouldnt hurt my children that way why would someone do that to a fish, duh because they dont care. i will update in the morning for everyone.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You might want to put her in a larger container (pickle jar or something) just so the water quality stays a little better for longer. Good luck with her :)

Definitely complain to the manager. Tell them your kids got upset by the sick fish.

Oct 8, 2004
GEORGIA
Visit site
well i got up this morning and shes still with me but i dont know for how long shes still really lethargic and her tail keeps going up towards the surface. i changed a little more of her water to keep it clean and you betcha as soon as i get done at the high school with my daughter i am heading straight to that store and letting them have it and i dont even have to lie my daughter is very upset and sits beside me and we watch her to make sure she is comfortable.

Oct 8, 2004
GEORGIA
Visit site
ok i finally had to put her in the 10 gallon it just gets so cold in here and her water was freezing the good thing is she finally ate 1 pellet of betta food and is flaring a little bit at the babie guppies in the tank with her and her fins are looking a little better. she still looks like someone got some hair mousse and spiked her top fin and tail fin. but she ate something finally. i will update again tomorrow.

Oct 8, 2004
GEORGIA
Visit site
i really dont think it is people being immature about fish there are people out there that do care about fish and think walmart should stick to just selling what they sell best groceries and clothes! and pearl is doing much much better now she is swimming and eating well and has all of her color back.