Retirement homes for fish?

May 21, 2012
I'm a newbie hanging onto the coat tails of my fish-experienced husband. We have three fresh water aquariums filled with a variety of fish as well as four betas. My question concerns two Pacu (sp?) in our large 66 gal tank. They were so cute when we first got them, each about 1.5 - 2in big. Now it's 1.5 years later and they are at least 8-10in large and get pretty rough playing around with each other. They've broken an internal thermometer and the intake cap/basket/valve/hose thingie (remember newbie here) not to mention terrifying the Cichlids in there with them. My husband won't get a larger tank and is increasingly more irritated with the situation. He says we should "get rid of them". I'm worried what that could mean. Are there places or websites to offer two large fish to live out their happy little fish lives? A "fish rescue league" for lack of a better term? Sounds dopey I know. What do others do in such a situation? I'd really appreciate any advice the forum has on this.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Have you ask your LFS if they would take them? I "googled" them so that is my only knowledge about that type fish, but whatever you do, don't release them in local waters! Besides the damage they could do to the local species, it is also very illegal. Good luck finding them a home. From what I read, they really aren't aquarium fish unless the tank is at least 200 g and it sounds like even that could be a problem.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You could offer them in your local paper or craigslist, and a Thyra suggests the local fish store might tanks them. I have also found that the store workers will sometimes take them as well. Another avenue is to search for aquarium maintenance companies in your area. They will likely have a customer with a huge tank that would take them.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Should the already posted suggestions not prove out there are some methods of disposing unwanted fish that are fairly quick. At the very least do not release them into local waters.
This is an unpleasnt situation that I and many others have faced. I now do some serious checking before buying a fish unknown to me. Also the advice of fish shop employees can not be relied upon.

May 21, 2012
Thanks to all for the great advice! Not to worry, we know not to release them locally. Maryland had a huge problem many years ago with Snake Head someone released. As to the FLS where we bought them, they no longer sell them......hhhhmmm, me thinks perhaps there were some issues, eh. My husband is amazed they've survived this long. Somehow I think he would have "taken care of it" if I wasn't around, but I believe people should be the stewards and protectors of all living things, so those methods are non starters until all else fails. Thanks again and I'll keep you informed! I really enjoy reading the threads and have learned a lot through this forum!