Return pump advice needed

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
I was leaning towards a Dart for my return pump, but I really don't want to drill the tank I'm making my sump out of. Does anyone know of a good submersible pump that would move a lot of water on my 125? Thanks in advance

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Sorry I forget, what size is your sump going to be?

For submersibles I've used a few different types but to get anywhere near the flow of a Dart the only one that comes to mind would be the Mag 36 ($$ though). Not sure if any of the Quiet Ones go that high but so far I've been happy with my 6000, just A LOT less flow than I think you're looking for. I've *heard* a lot of good things about the larger Laguna ones but I never trusted them when I sold them... and I told people that ;). We used them at the LFS and had nothing but problems with some of them... May have just been lemons though (shrug).

Chris

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
I have 3, 1 1/2" drain lines, and the 2, 1" return lines, my sump is a 50 gallon aquarium I have it set up as a flow thru sump with the skimmer on one end with the overflow going in the same chamber then I have my bubble traps about an inch and a half apart. The middle will be the fuge then my return. All I have to get now is my return pump. This is my first sump so I'm not really sure how much flow I need, the guy that helped me drill my tank ran pvc from the return holes all around the top of the tank with holes drilled in it, and he said that if I got a pump like the Dart or Snapper it would help out a lot with not needing as many powerheads, but I didn't know they weren't submersible Thanks for all the feedback