Reverse osmosis or Deionized?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I filled up my 3 gallon water bottle today at the R/O dispenser. As I was filling up, I read a little about their D/I option. At least at my machine, it adds deionization on top of reverse osmosis. So it's a "cleaner" water.

Question. Should I begin using D/I for both top offs and water changes? I've heard distilled water is not good for reef tanks, but how's deionized?

As it sounds, this type of water is hungry for its missing ions. My concern would be it would strip trace minerals and elements from the good water column. Any foundation in that?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
RO/DI is as pure as water gets...its simply an O and 2 Hs. as long as you do your frequent water changes i wouldn't worry about it for top offs...and since you will be adding salt for those water changes it should be fine that way to. many many people use RO/DI

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
The water I use from Foodlion is put through both types of filterization. As far as buying it I doubt there is much difference between one than the other. Now if you bought your own filter then most things i have read recommends getting the R/O system with 5 stage filter because it's ultra pure and the replacement filters are much cheaper than for a DI unit.