ro/di - distilled -water change

Dec 1, 2007
If I can't afford a ro/di I can just use distilled water? ....just add distilled water to salt and mix to correct specific gravity and make sure the water temp is the same as the aquarium and then slowly add water into tank? How slow? Do I pour it into the sump/fuge instead of the main tank? How will I know what specific gravity to make the replacement water compared to the aquarium water? How do I know how much salt if any to add? Will I need a seperate heater just for warming the water change water up? How much does an ro/di cost? Do you mind telling me the process you go through when you do a water change in GREAT detail.
Thanks a lot.
Leah

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
not sure if what i do is correct, but heres what i do, i have a 30 gal tank in the garage (where it is usually hot). i fill it up with ro, then add salt slowly to make the s/g a little low. then i wait like 2-3 days for the weekend and then i bring it in 5 gallon incroments and syphen it in with a tube that is like 1/4 inside diamiter. i put it in the main display because the sump pump might overheat if i just put it in there and let it pump its self back into the main tank because of the overflow. watch the salt level. usually its still good, but if anything i will add a bit to the sump so it will mix well.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I don't see how the sump pump will over heat, it won't be doing any extra work. No matter where you add water the sump is the only place the water level fluctuates. I don't actually have a s/w tank yet but as far as I know the sump is the best place to add water.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
you should turn off the sump return when you remove the water, then when adding it back you should turn it on and let it return the water to the display.

distilled water is fine but just go to the grocery and buy ro/di in those water kiosks it costs about 25 cents a gallon here and I used 5 gallon jugs I bought at the lfs....refilling them weekly. This is also the water I use for top ups. Plain r/o water. Dump the water into a clean dedicated garbage can, add your salt to bring the sg to 1.025 or what ever your display is....run a heater and an powerhead for at least 24hrs to age the water. Check the sg again, check the ph and alk.......adjust to match the display.....then remove the same amount your are going to replace......I siphon it out and clean rocks etc while I am siphoning......then when done I fill it back up. I use a bucket but I have also used a pump to pump it from my garbage can into the tank....

Dec 1, 2007
First of all I just want to apoligize for not getting back to you. I have been without internet for a while. I changed companies for faster service and they took FOREVER to set up. sigh. Anyways, thank you all for all your answers. Next question.....hmm.....For example: if I remove 10% of the water for water change - and there was already some water missing from evaporation - how would I know how much salt to mix not knowing exactly how much water is missing?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
little fuzzy on the math but check the SG of the tank, it will be high and so you would mix up the new water a little lower. i'm a bit rust on calculating conentrations so some one who has a tank set up should be able to set up with that part. also once you you are close you can check it after wards to get it just right.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I guess the answer here is not to leave the tank with evaporated water :) You should get an auto topoff system, or at least be compensating daily for the evaporation with fresh water (RO/DI, preferably). If you don't your salinity will be fluctuating, and causing stress/damage to your fish and corals.

That way, your new water just needs to be made up to the normal tank salinity.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
yeah good point, also at this point you can just add fresh water to the tank to get it at the desired SG then you can and new saltwater also at the desired SG, leaving out conentration equations making life easier.