RO/DI info

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Hey kids,

In my new place I am going to need an RO unit and so I figure I might as well get one which does DI as well so......does anyone have any experience/knowledge of any particular brand? I am probably looking for something which will do at least 50gpd

right now im looking at the Maxxima 60 Hi-S (60gpd) and the Pure-Flo II RO Unit (50gpd)

any thoughts?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Ive been looking at Ro/Di units recently for future use and the only one I really wanted was this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KM1433

Im pretty sure it was the one you were mentioning. ALso on the bottom of that page it talks about how much you have to replace the filters and chambers and it seems like a very good investment for how often the cartridges are changed. Thats the one Id go with but I couldnt find anything about the second unit except at drfostermsith and they didnt really go into it

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Actually i talked about this subject with a lot of people in LFS, friends etc and they all agree that super pricey ones aren't very different with cheap ones. Some costs more because they have glass or TDS meter with it. Mine was leaking where there's a bulkhead but teflon did the job. Like the skimmers, they don't really do like 50 gpd or 100 gpd...
Anyways the good things are inside, the membranes, cartridges. I bought coralife 4 pack last week so i guess this is what really does the job.

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
i was reading about the maxxima RO/DI unit, its a 4 stage post deionizer and makes it 99.9% pure, i personally just have a undersink RO unit i bought from menards its an RO 2000, i get so udderly disgusted to see my filters when i change them and to think not only am i giving this to my animals im drinking it, so now i only drink outta the ro sink adapter.
long time no talk camaro,, how you doing?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
kahluazzz: just to verify, these attach to a faucet by using a screw on adapter, correct? no plumbing modifications are necessary, yes? i live in an apartment so I can't do anything to the pipes

tammielynz:doing good over here...how about yourself?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
nope...the faucet adapter is sold separately. I pierced the tubing under sink with the screw attached to the unit's tubing. I live in an apartment too, but the tubing will cost like 2-3 $ to replace when i leave and i can remove it easily ( attached to 2 bulkheads ) ..the tubing looks like a straw..mine is heavy plastic.

The adapter looks like this :

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
I believe there is a faucet adapter you can find, however, most that I have or have seen have been undersink installations, requiring a needle puncture into the cold water supply line or a joint fitting installed before the faucet. However, it is important to note that you can ONLY run cold water through these units, anything warmer can damage the membrane and thus defeat the purpose of a RO/DI unit.

That's the one fact I dislike about this, what are you going to do? Water change with COLD water if doing an immediate water change? ... although that would take forever using such low-output units. I just thought of this, but I guess you could possible microwave some water to bring it to a proper water temp!