ro/di system?

stevej

Medium Fish
Jun 25, 2009
hi i just started my fish tank bout a month ago and its pretty much done cycling. i'm wondering if i should get the ro/di system or can i wait til december to get it. i really dont want to spend the money on it if i can wait and buy it later because there is still rock and other things i wanna get.

-thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
You can wait but the crap like metal deposits, po4, nitrates will be harder to clean out. Live rock is porous and it's a little bit like a sponge..it can trap unwanted stuff and it's pretty hard to get it out once it's in. Also, you may have some cyano and diatom blooms more often than with ro/di. If a LFS is selling ro/di water, i suggest your buy some for a while until you have your unit.

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Fishmonger, you might wanna remove the 6th stage..if there's a sticker with "odour and taste" on the filter, remove it. It's not only useless unless you wanna drink it, it's a phosphate reactor. Those units are sold for human consumption. I know i bought 2. They pretty much do the same thing as expensive ones from trusted aquarium accessories brands, but they add this crap as the final filter. My trusted LFS removes them before they sell it.