RO filter water to tank

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
I just purchased a 4 stage RO unit. My question is I have a fowlr tank that I have been just using tap water + conditioner. With the RO unit is there any need to use any type of conditioner (api stress coat is what i used for the tap water) or can I just use the RO water as soon as its available for top offs and water changes?

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
thanks for the quick replies I figured as much but thought it best to ask. Someone at the lfs said something about chloramine and RO units and I couldnt remember if it was something about conditioning it or if that was for before I had the RO.

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm not too sure about the chloramine filters. Are you sure your water company uses chloramines?

It looks like it came with a TDS meter. You should use this to see what your TDS is after the RO process. A DI unit will usually remove any last TDS readings, so you get 0 as an output. Hopefully, the RO will remove almost everything. You can also test your output water for phosphates to make sure. If you do get a zero TDS reading, there aren't any phosphates (or any other contaminants) in your output water.