RO vs RO/DI Opinions

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I know to avoid unwanted and preventable issues down the road that could (and probably would) happen down the road, most notably unwanted algale.

Anyway I have been looking into RO and RO/DI units and have come across two that I am contemplating buying (both are bought from people not stores)

FIrst is just an RO option:
Kent Marine 35 GPD Hi-S RO System - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
Now I wanted to avoid RO units because from my understanding they can leave quite a bit of silica behind and I really want to avoid that. However with this RO unit (the Kent High-S silicate remover) I dont have to worry about that.

or just to be safe (wit silica and other things the DI takes care of)
Kent Marine Maxxima 50 GPD RO/DI System - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
This is a really nice unit but its more expensive and the filters need to be replaced sooner than the other option.

Now would I be gaining significant benefits from the DI and thus just shell out the money now or could I do the RO unit with little problems (as my water is clean but would the RO be enough)

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
RO/DI is definitely the way to go, if you can afford it. I've heard not to go past ~30gpd, as the filtration begins to slack at the higher gpd rates. If you feel satisfied with the RO unit, go with it. I use tap water and just aerate it to remove chlorine.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Why not have your water tested for silcates? then if they are high in your sample you would then know to go with the more expensive unit. I can't see paying for the higher filtration if it isn't necessary. I think a tds meter is a must when you have a unit that way you will know exactly when to change the filter.......

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
yea ebay has alot of 100 gpd day ros on there for good prices. I wanted to stick to a kent model but am now interetsed in a typhoon 3 RO/DI.

The price range is I just want to save as much money as possible. With live rock, return pump, and cleaners in the future I need to save up a bit.