RO vs RO/DI

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I know RO units are very useful for any size marine aquarium and have just been looking into some of their options.

I always thought that these items came in one form which is RO/DI systems that was both a reverese osmosis and de ionization device. I then found out that their were strictly RO units for sale and then there were RO and DI devices.

I was doing some research on them and went to Marine Depot and they have a good descriptions of items and this was their description:

"RO and RO/DI systems help to remove impurities from your water: such as chlorine, chloramines, pesticides, phosphates, heavy metals and many others. Some of these impurities can lead to the growth of nuisance algae, while others may cause much bigger problems. The DI (De-Ionizing) cartridge does an excellent job removing phosphates, silicates and nitrates. They are highly recommend for reef tanks and will also work great for fish-only tanks. Numerous installation accessories are available for these units. The most useful accessory is a drinking water kit so you can also use the RO (or RO/DI) unit for drinking water."

WHats the differnece between a RO and RO/DI system. Obviousley a RO/DI system will remove more obscuritites but is the DI neccasary? In the bold is that what the DI does, so without the DI system you wont remove phospahtes and silicates or nitrates?

In the underlined part, is that what a RO only unit removes? SO with a RO unit you will remove the underlined, and then with a RO/DI unit you will take out both the underlined and bold items? THats what I got from reading that and I was just wondering what you guys thought/know.

I was just wondering what the main difference was to Ro and RO/DI systems.

Last edited:

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
from what i have read, if you perform a TDS (total dissolved solids) test on the water from an RO/DI unit you will find that it removes slightly more than a typical RO unit alone.

as far as "what" is removed, i am not entirely certain to be honest. i think that the solids removed also depends upon the quality of the unit and how often the membranes and resins are replaced......since some units will definatley give you lower TDS readings than others.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
So out of the people on here that ohave RO or RO/DI units... would you reccomend a plain RO unit as totally sufficent to have quality water, or is the DI a big plus on water quality?