ro water

popydude2

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2006
Look I know i'am new to all this and just going on what I have been told by others.I think I have already found another problem.I was told I could just add tap water to my tank just add stress coat.Every time I have done this everything dies.I have a 10 gal. sw tank been in use for 2 yrs. never lost a fish but I always used ro water.Now that I have started a 55gal. tank nothing but trouble.But everything starts looking good then I add the tap water and the Ammonia goes out of sight shortly after maybe a day death comes to everything in the tank.Could the tap water be causeing this problem?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you honestly think stresscoat does anything good? It works by irritating the fish and making them exude a thicker slime coat.....

Test your tapwater

popydude2

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2006
I was told to ues the stresscoat to kill the Chlorine in the city water.The last time I used city water was saturday I have checked my tank for 3 days now and the Ammonia level has came way down not gone yet but close.

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
you know the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" well i think you know what i'm getting at... you stated that you had a 10 gallon without any losses with r/o water, and now you are using tap water and some carnage has come your way...why not just use the r/o?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you think stresscoat even does that. I was rather under the impression it didn't do anything to actually get rid of the chlorine/chloramine

popydude2

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2006
No I whish I did have my own ro system.I hate going to the pet store to buy it.Lotus you are correct on the city water but I thought that the stresscoat would help.So I have learned something else about stresscoat.Do you know anything about useing well water? Or will there be problems with that to?

Persimmon

Small Fish
Jan 31, 2006
Do you have your own test kit? Try Prime. Prime works on contact and is a very good water conditioner. You can't really care for your tank that well unless you have the test kit on hand. This way you can also test your tap water for all prams and get a feel for what you are working with.